10/12/2015

Tutorial Feedback & action plan

Feeling really positive about both the essay and practical project after that tutorial! I've only got around 1000 to write to finish off the essay so we discussed/clarified exactly what I want that final chapter to cover.

Chapter question: to what extent does the media influence perceptions of gender roles and gender identity? (work in progress, it was difficult to articulate.. so this may change)

  • depictions of gender roles
  • the use of pink/colour
  • body image
  • possibly a fourth point, depending whether my research/analysis brings anything else to mind.
My analysis in the chapter so far has been okay, but it's important that I highlight the complexity of the topic throughout - it's not just as simple as 'the media reinforces gender roles by using X or Y' etc..
I've also made a note to narrow down the images I want to use and dot them throughout my essay (as long as they're appropriate) and then I can compare them in the final chapter/use them to either back up or contradict my argument. 


For the practical aspect, I was just advised not to let the book format dictate the work. The important part of my project is creating images that the audience can colour themselves, so this doesn't necessarily have to be a book.. If I find that trying to produce 32 pages is getting too much and affecting the quality of the work, I can always step back and present it another way. 

Over the Christmas break and through January my plan is to:
  • Finish essay by the 18th Dec which should only take a couple of days
  • Produce at least one (2 most days) pages/drawings per day until 1st January
  • 1st Jan make decision about final format, packaging/presentation
  • Prepare files for print for 7th Jan
  • Final crit 8th Jan
  • Make any alterations, re-read essay & get bound before submissio

No comments:

Post a Comment