09/12/2015

Gender roles in advertising


For the last stretch of my essay I want to focus on how gender roles or stereotypes are used to target specific audiences in advertising/the media. These are some of the examples I've found so far - I didn't even have to look very hard to find exactly what I wanted. The point of this analysis is to point out that there hasn't been much choice regarding attributes associated with gender because it has been reinforced so much in the past. Contemporary examples are slightly different because there are different advertising standards and society has progressed a lot in terms of gender equality. However I want to point out that there are still elements of gender stereotyping so although people have more choice about what defines their gender, the media does still reinforce gender binary to an extent.

No comments:

Post a Comment