04/12/2015

Self Evaluation

At the moment I think the way I have been drawing the line-work shown in this post works because the thick outer line will help children be neater with colouring. I also think some of the subjects I am starting to investigate, such as women in 'masculine' jobs, communicate what I want to say really well. To capitalise on both of these I will be exploring them both further in my sketchbook and reviewing each piece - what I like or dislike about it and how I can do it better next time.

Up to this point, I think that my time management has been pretty good. I've managed to stay up to date and have significant progress between each review. The next time my peers see my work will be the final crit so I actually need to step it up if I want to get this work finished in time. I'm going to work out how many drawings per week I need to finish to meet my target and still have enough time for production.
Another thing I could improve on would be how I use my sketchbook. I'm disappointed that I haven't filled one up yet so perhaps I need to be a little less precious with what I put in there. Although I'm at the stage where I need to be producing more refined work, I don't think I should stop investigating/trying out new things altogether.

Over the next four or five weeks I will be producing a 32 page colouring book and then re-appropriating some of the images to promotional posters/point of sale designs and packaging. It's a lot of work but I will only actually be producing the book and possibly the packaging. Anything else I decide to do can be mocked up and presented on boards.

In response to the feedback, I think I need to focus on consideration of composition. When I work in my sketchbook, a lot of the time I draw things in the middle of the page. Perhaps drawing on square paper or just drawing a square on the page will help. I also need to think about how to make each page interesting for a younger audience - e.g. lots of things to colour in, but not overly complex.

Action Plan

  1. Investigate gender & professions - women in 'masculine' jobs etc. Does it work the other way around?
  2. Work out how many illustrations I need to finish per week in order to meet deadlines
  3. Look at existing colouring books in shops for packaging/presentation ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment