02/12/2015

Sketchbook/idea development


Continuing with the colouring book idea, I started to draw children's toys that are typically associated with a specific gender. I decided to have them all on the same page so that it didn't suggest that there were any categories (i.e. girls toys/boys toys). As I went along I decided to simplify the composition because of the target audience - young children.

At this point in time, I'm unsure about most of the content for the colouring book - definitely something to talk about in the peer review. A few categories I could explore are jobs/professions, clothing and play - all of which are affected by gender in my opinion. Perhaps I could show men/women (or any other gender-non specific person) in roles or jobs that challenge stereotypes.. For example, a male taking care of a baby, male nurses and ballerinas, female builders etc. Perhaps I should show multiple genders doing the same thing - to suggest that everyone can do these things if they choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment