18/11/2015

Gender Specific Product Research


At the moment, I feel as though my ideas for the practical work are just going round in circles. After the last tutorial I decided to research gender specific products and I thought I was going to target a teen-age audience. Now that I've had a look at gender specific products I think I'm going to return to 7 to 11 year olds being my target audience.
I've made this decision because I noted how much children are targeted by products that enforce the gender binary and that 'pink is for girls'. I think adults are slightly less concerned with what colour the products they buy are, but the whole notion that a colour = gender starts when they are young.

Proposed response:
Design a set of characters for a children's cartoon and corresponding merchandise that challenge gender 'norms'.

Target audience:
6 to 10 year olds

Specific Products:

  • 4 x Character design sheets including names & a little background info
  • Mugs, t-shirts, posters, lunchbox designs, key-rings, stickers
Context:
The characters would exist in a cartoon for children ages 6 to 10. Related products would be sold in super-markets and toy shops.


No comments:

Post a Comment