18/11/2015

Existing Children's TV Characters



Just from looking at these examples, I can see how often characters are gendered using colour or characteristics typical of their assigned gender. The Powerpuff Girls save the world almost on a daily basis, but they do it with big eyes and pretty dresses. The same can be said for most female heroic characters. In one aspect, why do these female characters have to have pink somewhere, or wear a dress? But another part of me questions why they shouldn't have a pink dress just because they're a hero? I think to justify/answer these questions I'll have to draw out a range of characters and ask what people's initial thoughts of them are. If I can create something that people can't really assign a gender to, then I'll be happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment