03/01/2016

Pages progress



These are the colouring pages I'm happy with so far. I think adding more to the compositions (like a bit of background) has really helped improve them compared with my earlier drawings in this post.

For these I have chosen to draw jobs/professions that are typically associated with or occupied by a specific gender. I think it would be unrealistic to try and draw every gender identity in each of these occupations, so I've just drawn the opposite of what most people would expect. For example, the stay at home father - although not uncommon these days, throughout history part of the male role has been to be a 'provider' for their family. What I am trying to show with these images is that both sexes, regardless of what gender they identify with, can chose whatever type of career or role they want to.

As these drawings took much longer than I initially anticipated, I don't think I'll be able to get 32 done as I was originally aiming for. The next category I want to tackle is clothing/appearance, so I think I'm going to draw a gender neutral paper-doll for the audience to customise/make their own. I plan to spread the paper doll and all the according accessories/clothing over four pages with instructions on how to make it more durable since the stock won't be thick enough for it to stand on it's own.

As I'm coming up with ideas for the drawings, I'm noticing that the last chapter of my essay has really informed the practical content. In the last chapter I've written about depictions of gender roles, the use of pink/colour and body image - all of which are turning out to be key elements in this colouring pack. E.g the drawings of different genders in various jobs/roles covers the depiction of gender roles, the interactive colouring aspect covers the use of colour in regards to gender and for body image I am producing a paper doll.

No comments:

Post a Comment