19/09/2015

DIY Culture & Practical idea!

In roughly the 1970's/80s, diy culture came about with the punk subculture. In the 1990s, feminists adopted the culture and kicked off third wave feminism. The Riot Grrrl zines are a great example of feminist diy culture and a more recent example would be people doing things like Kim Searle.

As well as finding a bunch of stuff I need to read, I've come up with an idea for the practical work. I already stated that I am interested in educating people on these social issues (here) but it has to be interesting and relevant to current feminism. As a starting point, I am going to make a diy 'starter pack' for children or possibly teens. The pack would contain information on the women's movement, broken down into each of the waves. The information would need to be simplified and illustrated to make it appealing to a younger audience. The pack could also contain instructions on how to make your own patch, templates, a small idea book (showing quotes and simple illustrations that could be copied), customisable badges, a zine and stickers. 
I know that I work best when I have something very specific to explore, so hopefully I can create the initial ideas for this pack fairly quickly so that I have time to expand on it (which I'm sure I will because it's pretty early on in the project!)

No comments:

Post a Comment