27/02/2015

Contextual References



In my previous post, I realised that I didn't really know how I could approach the more recent role of women in society. I started looking at feminist illustrations and one thing that stuck out to me is that there is a kind of 'call to arms' for feminists. There seems to be a huge focus on trying to get women to embrace who they are - in regards to their size/weight, race, religion, personality or interests. I think most modern women are unapologetically themselves and it has taken a long time to get to this point. I think more women will openly call themselves feminists now because society has changed and it isn't seen as a bad thing to be a female who doesn't conform to old, outdated expectations. Women are taking the idea of femininity and questioning what it means more than ever and I believe this is in response to years of oppression and having more accessible means of freedom of speech - such as the internet. 

No comments:

Post a Comment