15/10/2015

Thoughts on Essay Structure..

Since the group tutorial, I've been questioning what it is I'm asking with this research project and what my ultimate goal is. The essay question I am currently proposing is "How has Western Feminism changed in the last 150 years?" - although I think this will change slightly..

After more recent research I know I definitely want to look at gender roles; their importance in society and how they have changed; what we can do to make positive change surrounding gender roles and finally, the impact social media has had on feminism/changing perspective on gender roles.

Although I will try to remain as objective as possible when writing the essay, I will still be approaching the topic from a feminist perspective. So far I have tried to be critical of my sources and it has proven to be quite helpful because it made me consider which angle the author is coming from - whether they are writing from a position of privilege or opposition etc.


  1. Introduction [500 words] - what is this essay investigating? why is this relevant to society today?
  2. 1st Chapter [2000 words] - what is feminism? what has it achieved? outline the main differences between each wave
  3. 2nd Chapter [2000 words] - What are gender roles and how have they changed? 
  4. 3rd Chapter [2000 words -  How has social media had an effect on feminism and changing perspectives?
  5. 4th Chapter [2000 words] - Why is 'choice' so important?
  6. Conclusion [500 words] - how are feminism, gender identity & choice interrelated? why is it important they they keep progressing?
Outlining an essay structure has made me realise there are some areas I still need to find texts on.. At the moment I'm pretty confident about the first two chapters so from now, I think my main point of research will be on how social media has affected feminism and the importance of choice in society. 

No comments:

Post a Comment