26/08/2015

Proposal feedback review

Based on the feedback for my proposal, I've given myself some points to take note of. 
  • Question is a little bit vague/open
I need to find a clear focus for my research. Specifically, what is it that made each wave of feminism different? Am I comparing modern day feminists to those who started the movement?
  • Does each wave of feminism have a lasting impact?
I definitely need to review whether the 'goals' of each wave of feminism are/were relevant and how they differ from the movement today. I think it's also important to consider whether changes in society are actually a result of the feminist movement. 
  • Do we, as individuals, really learn from history?
I need to question this without diverging from the subject too much. Is it worth referencing other historical events without having to go into too much detail? Is this even a relevant question?
  • Are women now, internationally, better off than they have been throughout history?
  • Would it be more useful to look at Western society during the last 150 years?
I think it would be better to focus on the West for my research. Simply because some countries just aren't at the same stage as we are and feminism is only just affecting change there. However, it might be good to reference recent events, such as Saudi Arabian women getting the vote - almost 100 years after Western women. 
I think it would also be interesting to look at individuals who refuse to identify as feminists because they think it is unfair to other genders. 
  • Find more academic references
A lot of the content I look at will more likely be very biased towards feminism. If I look for academic texts they are more likely to contain balanced, cited arguments. Although it is important for me to form an opinion on this subject in order to investigate it, it's also important to question my own opinions in order to form a balanced argument. 
  • How does illustration tie into this argument? Zines? posters? pins/badges? social networking?
I need to find a few examples of feminist illustration/media from the different 'waves'. I also want to explore how the internet has helped feminist messages spread like wildfire to young girls, who ten or twenty years ago, might not have understood what feminism is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment