12/01/2015

Re-evaluated Essay Proposal

Since writing my previous essay proposal, I've struggled with staying interested in the topic. I decided to let it go and find something I would actually enjoy researching and writing about. Whilst searching for topics, I remembered my PPP project from level 4 about the appearance of female characters in video games. The female role in society and the media has undeniably changed over time, however it could still be argued that society's view on the female role still has a long way to go.

I will be concentrating on the period of time between 1920 to present day to analyse the change in the female role within society. I will be looking at the media, popular culture and key political events that have influenced how the roles of women have changed. I have chosen to start at 1920 because it is after the first world war, there was an economic boom in America during the 20's and the Suffragists and Suffragettes had been working hard to get women the right to vote.

Without a doubt, I will probably approach this essay from a feminist point of view and although I want to focus on the female role, I think I must touch upon the male role in society and how gender roles as a whole are beginning to shift. I think it is also important to look at how religion may have influenced peoples perception of particular gender roles and whether or not it still has the same influence.

Research:


  1. Boundless. “Gender Roles and Differences.” Boundless Psychology. Boundless, 14 Nov. 2014. Retrieved 12 Jan. 2015 from https://www.boundless.com/psychology/textbooks/boundless-psychology-textbook/gender-and-sexuality-15/introduction-to-gender-and-sexuality-75/gender-roles-and-differences-296-12831/
  2. Shapiro, E. (2010). Gender circuits. New York: Routledge.
  3. Reeser, T. (2010). Masculinities in theory. Chichester: Wiley-Blackwell
  4. Gough-Yates, A. (2003). Understanding women's magazines. London: Routledge.
  5. Weissman, K. (1999). Barbie. United States: Universal Publishers.
  6. Hughes, K. (2015). Gender roles in the 19th century. [online] The British Library. Available at: http://www.bl.uk/romantics-and-victorians/articles/gender-roles-in-the-19th-century [Accessed 12 Jan. 2015].

No comments:

Post a Comment