10/11/2014

Observational Drawing Research

During my research for a possible essay topic, this was an important part of my sketchbook. As I sat drawing people, I was either making comments about them in my head or writing it down in my sketchbook. I started to realise I was making assumptions of these people based on how they had chosen to present themselves that day. These weren't bad assumptions necessarily, but they were a kind of judgement of character - I was automatically categorising people based on their appearance. People have always done this and it is how people might identify sub cultures or a particular religion - our appearance creates a silent conversation between you and the rest of the world. Our appearance is a vital part of our identity - whether it is accurate or an assumed identity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment